Redshirt-freshman quarterback Jeff Undercuffler threw six TD passes and Juwan Green hauled in two TDs as the University at Albany football team rolled past Central Connecticut State, 42-12, in the program’s first-ever FCS Playoff win.
In the opening round of the FCS Playoffs, the Great Danes outscored the Blue Devils 35-7 in the second half, behind five TD passes from Undercuffler.
The Blue Devils broke open the scoring with a 31-yard TD pass on their second drive of the game.
In the second quarter, on a second and 10 from the CCSU 12-yard line, Undercuffler connected with Green in the back corner of the end zone. The Danes’ wide receiver went up and over the CCSU safety to bring down the pass and knot the score at 7-all.
Highlights | History for @UAlbanyFootball! The Great Danes explode for 35 second-half points to dominate CCSU, 42-14, and win the program’s first ever #FCSPlayoffs game. Redshirt freshman QB Jeff Undercuffler threw for all 6 TDs. On to Montana State! pic.twitter.com/zOI3lRFgJk— UAlbany Sports (@UAlbanySports) November 30, 2019
The Great Danes came out of the break hot, scoring 28 unanswered points in the third quarter. First, Undercuffler found Green for a 41-yard TD pass, before connecting with Jerah Reeves (33 yards), LJ Wesneski (11 yards) and Tyler Oedekoven (9 yards) for touchdowns.
Undercuffler later found Karl Mofor for a quick hit over the middle. The Danes’ running back then broke three tackles before charging into the end zone to make the score 42-7.
The Great Danes move onto the second round of the FCS Playoffs where they will play fifth-seeded Montana State on Saturday, Dec. 7. Kickoff is slated for 3 p.m. (ET) in Bozeman, Montana.
- Jeff Undercuffler threw for six touchdowns on 19-30 passing and 304 yards. He ranks first in the FCS with 39 touchdowns this season.
- Juwan Green produced 105 yards and two touchdowns. He has hauled in a program-record 16 touchdowns and 1,263 receiving yards through 13 games this season.
- Eli Mencer finished the game with one sack for a program record 14.5 on the season. He posted an interception and five tackles on the day, including one for a loss of five yards.
- LJ Wesneski caught his seventh touchdown pass this year. He finished the game with one reception for 11 yards.
- Karl Mofor added to the stat sheet with three receptions for 26 yards and one touchdown. On the ground, he added 37 yards on 11 carries.
Release provided by UAlbany Athletics.