Central Florida debuted at No. 12 in last night’s College Football Playoff rankings release.
Many referred to that as “proper” placement.
Many are very
Last night, our very own Kyle Bratke made the comment on Twitter dot com that UCF didn’t even deserve to be ranked in the top 25. And, you might say, “Bratke was just upset that the Knights were ranked ahead of West Virginia.” And, if you said that, you’d be right. That, alone, is nothing short of hysterical.
But that’s really just tip of the proverbial iceberg.
UCF doesn’t even have the resume to be in the top 25. https://t.co/h0oG3CpzUu— Kyle Bratke (@Kbratke) October 30, 2018
Central Florida has exactly zero wins against a team currently above .500. Its banner win this season came against 4-4 Pitt. Sick.
Nevermind the fact that, based on resumé alone, UCF should be ranked behind Utah State and Fresno State. If we’re really going to act like the Knights are the twelfth-best team in the country right now, FCS power North Dakota State should probably be ranked inside the top 10.
Big J h/t to redditor Inthetop11 for doing the heavy lifting on the following research:
- UCF has the 125th-ranked strength of schedule across Division I. North Dakota State checks in at No. 126.
- NDSU is winning its games by an average score of 40-13. UCF is winning by an average score of 44-18.
- UCF’s Sagarin ranking is No. 29. NDSU is ranked 22nd.
And, since we’re clearly propping up UCF based on past achievements and its ongoing win streak, here’s some historical data to consider:
- North Dakota State doesn’t seem to share UCF’s ongoing struggle to schedule quality P5 teams. Since 2013, the Bison have knocked off Kansas State, Iowa State and, most recently, No. 13 Iowa in 2016.
- NDSU has won seven straight conference championships and has made seven consecutive FCS semifinals. The latter is a record.
- NDSU has won 14 consecutive games.
If you can talk yourself into taking Central Florida seriously based on a whole bunch of variables that are completely unrelated to playing and beating actual good football teams, then you ought to be able to talk yourself into North Dakota State.
So, sure, the system is broken. UCF should be given a chance. Yada, yada, yada. But if all of that’s true, then the mighty Bison should be knocking on the door, as well.