Grand Valley State Football Wins 2023 GLIAC Title After Beating DU | Recap
Grand Valley State Football Wins 2023 GLIAC Title After Beating DU | Recap
GVSU Football won its 19th GLIAC Football Title and sent crosstown rival Davenport University Football in a tailspin with 38-0 win. Next up: D2 Playoffs
Now all that’s left for Grand Valley State Football is figuring out who the Lakers will play in the first round at Lubbers Stadium in the first round of the NCAA Division II Football Playoffs, and where to put the new trophy.
The No.2 Lakers took advantage of the struggling offense of No. 16 Davenport Football, who missed starting quarterback Jason Whittaker after he suffered an injury against Ferris State on Nov. 4. Davenport had just 32 yards on 25 plays in the first half and GVSU dominated on both sides of the ball in a 38-0 win on Senior Day at Lubber Stadium.
- Subscribe To FloFootball To Watch More NCAA DII Football Action In 2023
- How Do The NCAA Division II Football Playoffs Work?
- How Many Teams Make the NCAA Division II Football Playoffs?
GVSU, the winningest program in Division II football, won its 19th GLIAC championship and finishes the regular season undefeated in conference play at 6-0. The 9-1 Lakers haven’t lost a GLIAC game since a 35-28 loss to Ferris State.
The Lakers beat Ferris State in the Anchor-Bone Classic this season.
GVSU will advance to the playoffs and be in position to receive one of the first-round byes and host a playoff game. The Division II Football Playoff Selection Show is 6 p.m. ET on Nov. 12.
GVSU was ranked No. 2, behind only Harding (Arkansas), in the Super Region 3 Rankings. Harding (10-0) was leading Arkansas Tech 14-0 after the first quarter when GVSU beat Davenport.
What Now For Davenport University Football?
Despite not losing its first game until Week 10, Davenport is poised to miss the playoffs unless the selection committee considers the strength of schedule.
The Panthers (8-2, 4-2) were No. 8 in the Super Region 3 rankings this week. However, Indianapolis, No. 9 in the region, is a division champion after beating SBU 41-3 on Saturday. That will likely put the No. 22-ranked Greyhounds in the field.
GVSU Football Vs. Davenport University Football Recap: Lakers Win GLIAC
See live updates for the game below.
GVSU Football Adds Field Goal | GVSU 38, Davenport 0
The shutout is intact and the Lakers are tacking on. Kicker Josh Gorball was good on a 29-yard field goal with 10:58 left in the game.
Grand Valley State Football Ready To Hoist GLIAC Trophy
Grand Valley State leads Davenport 35-0 after three quarters. The Lakers defenses has starred in the unofficial GLIAC title game.
The question now is how much GVSU will rise in the Super Region 3 rankings and how far previously No.8 Davenport will drop.
GVSU Football 35, Davenport Football 0
Tariq Reid scored his second touchdown of the game on a 3-yard play that capped off a 12-yard drive following the Davenport turnover.
Second Half Underway At Lubbers Stadium
GVSU reached the Davenport 31-yard line before turning the ball over on downs. But on the first drive of the second half for Davenport, the Panthers fumbled and GVSU took over deep in Panthers territory.
Davenport University Football Has Just 31 Yards Of Offense Vs. GVSU
With backup quarterback Grant Thwaites playing for Jason Whittaker, the Davenport offense is struggling against No. 2 GVSU. The Lakers have held their Crosstown rival to just 31 yards of offense on 25 plays. Thwaites has been sacked three times.
GVSU Football A Half Away From GLIAC Repeat; Davenport Playoff Hopes Dwindle
No. 2 Grand Valley State leads No. 16 Davenport 28-0 at halftime as the Lakers are cruising to a second-straight GLIAC title and 19th overall.
A win could push GVSU to the No.1 spot in Super Region 3.
Meanwhile, Davenport entered the day No.8 in the region and could miss the playoffs altogether with a loss.
Grand Valley State Cashes In On Davenport Football Turnover | GVSU 28, DU 0
Grand Valley State scored after the Davenport turnover late in the first half to give the Lakers a 28-0 lead. The defending GLIAC champions are in position to repeat on Senior Day after jumping all over the Panthers.
Tariq Reid scored the touchdown from two-yards out to cap a four-play, 10-yard drive.
GVSU Football Running Away From Struggling Davenport Offense
The first turnover in the GVSU-DU game went to the Lakers as the struggling Davenport offense, playing without starting quarterback Jason Whittaker, fumbled the ball. GVSU takes over on the Davenport 21-yard line.
Grand Valley State Football Nearing 19th GLIAC Title | GVSU 21, Davenport University 0
Grand Valley State Football added a third touchdown and took a 21-0 lead on No. 16 Davenport, who is moving dangerously close to being out of the playoff picture.
GVSU increased its lead on an eight-play scoring drive that went 79 yards. Avery Moore capped off the drive with a 2-yard rushing touchdown with less than five minutes to play in the first half.
Ferris State Football All Over Wayne State
The Bulldogs lead Wayne State 21-3 in the second quarter. Watch that game on FloFootball!
Kyle Nott Gives Grand Valley State Football 2-Touchdown Lead | GVSU 14, Davenport Football 0
Kyle Nott took an end-around run 29-yards for a touchdown to help give GVSU a 14-0 lead.
Davenport's Offense Struggling Without Quarterback Jason Whittaker
The Panthers started the second quarter with just seven yards of offense and no first downs against GVSU Football.
On the first drive of the second quarter, DU punted after recovering its own fumble on third-down.
Davenport University Football Trailing GVSU Football After 1, 7-0
Grand Valley State Football Takes 7-0 Lead On Davenport | GVSU 7, DU 0
After forcing a punt on the first drive, GVSU wasted no time and scored quickly, using a Lynn Wyche-El touchdown to take an early 7-0 lead. It is the first touchdown Davenport has allowed in the first quarter this season.
Davenport Quarterback Jason Whittaker Not Starting Vs. Grand Valley State Football
Davenport starting quarterback Jason Whittaker, who was injured against Ferris State, does not start against GVSU.
Grant Thwaites got the start. Davenport punted in the first series.
GVSU Football Game vs. Davenport University Is About To Kickoff!
Kickoff is here for the unofficial GLIAC championship game. Follow live here or watch the game:
Davenport Football Roster
GVSU Football Roster
Fast Starts Powering Davenport University Football In 2023
The question today is: Will Grand Valley State football be the first team this season to score a touchdown against the Panthers in the first quarter? Davenport outscored opponents 61-3 in the first quarter.
Davenport University Football Seeking To Make Program History
Davenport rose from NAIA to Division II in 2017 and joined the GLIAC. The Panthers made their first Division II Playoff appearance in 2022 and this year are seeking their first conference title at the Division II level.
Head coach Sparky McEwen, a former Ferris State player and coach, has guided the program through the transition. It's been a relatively quick path to success, considering the Panthers lost the 2020 season due to the pandemic.
GVSU Football Stadium, Lubbers Stadium, Does It Again
For 11 straight years, no team has had more fans in its stadium than Grand Valley State University Football. Lubbers Stadium leads the nation in attendance with 72,296, an average of 14,459 in the five home games in 2023.
Grand Valley State Football vs. Davenport University All-Time Record
Davenport has never beaten the Lakers, with GVSU holding a 5-0 record. GVSU has outscored Davenport 185-28 in five games
What Happened In The GVSU Football Game vs. Davenport In 2022?
Similar to this year, Davenport opened the season 8-0 until ending with both Ferris State and Grand Valley State.
After losing to the Bulldogs 28-7, Davenport lost at home to GVSU 49-7.
It was worse than that, though.
No.1 Grand Valley State led 42-0 at halftime to punctuate its GLIAC title.
The game included an 88-yard touchdown pass from Cade Peterson to Jaylon Tillman. But it was the ground game that GVSU dominated, rushing for 263 yards to Davenport’s 115.
Davenport still made the playoffs, losing to eventual champion Ferris State again 41-7. GVSU reached the second round before losing 24-21 in a rematch with Ferris State (the Lakers had beaten the Bulldogs earlier that season).
When Is The GVSU Football Game vs. Davenport University Football?
The game will kick off at 1 p.m. EST at Lubbers Stadium in Allendale, Michigan.
How To Watch GVSU Football vs. Davenport University Football
Like all regular season GLIAC games, the game is streaming live on FloFootball and the FloSports app.
Replays, highlights, and breaking news will be available on both platforms.
How Many Conference Titles Has Grand Valley State Football Won?
Grand Valley State has won 18 GLIAC championships, including the 2022 GLIAC title. Every freshman class since 1977 has won at least one GLIAC Championship during their career.
GLIAC Football Standings In Week 11
- GRAND VALLEY ST. 5-0 8-1
- DAVENPORT 4-1 8-1
- FERRIS STATE 4-1 7-2
- SAGINAW VALLEY 2-3 5-5
- WAYNE ST. (MICH.) 2-3 3-7
- MICHIGAN TECH 1-4 5-4
- NORTHERN MICH. 0-6 0-10
Davenport Football Schedule 2023
- Sept. 2: Davenport 31, Thomas More 17
- Sept. 9: Davenport 24, Bowie State 19
- Sept. 23: Davenport 55, William Jewell 27
- Sept. 30: Davenport 28, Michigan Tech 0
- Oct. 7: Davenport 28, Northern Michigan 12
- Oct. 14: Davenport 32, Wayne State 3
- Oct. 21: Davenport 44, University of Mary 34
- Oct. 28: Davenport 24, Saginaw Valley State 21
- Nov. 4: Ferris State 28, Davenport 10
- Nov. 11: at Grand Valley State, 1 p.m. ET
Grand Valley State Football Schedule 2023
- Aug. 31: Colorado School of Mines 31, GVSU 28
- Sept. 9: GVSU 57, Colorado State Pueblo 49
- Sept. 16: GVSU 43, Assumption 7
- Sept. 30: GVSU 55, Saginaw Valley State 14
- Oct. 7: GVSU 65, Kentucky State 7
- Oct. 14: GVSU 49, Ferris State 28
- Oct. 21: GVSU 73, Northern Michigan 14
- Oct. 28: GVSU 44, Michigan Tech 13
- Nov. 4: GVSU 66, Wayne State 10
- Nov. 11: Davenport, 1 p.m. ET
Ferris State Football Schedule 2023
- Aug. 31: Ferris State 54, Mercyhurst 12
- Sept. 9: Ferris State 38, Ashland 28
- Sept. 16: Montana 17, Ferris State 10
- Sept. 30: Ferris State 78, Northern Michigan 3
- Oct. 7: Ferris State 38, Saginaw Valley State 17
- Oct. 14: Grand Valley State 49, Ferris State 28
- Oct. 21: Ferris State 35, at Michigan Tech 21
- Oct. 28: Ferris State 56, American International 0
- Nov. 4: Ferris State 28, Davenport 10
- Nov. 11: Wayne State, 1 p.m.
When Is 2023 The NCAA Division 2 Football Playoff Selection Show?
The Division II Football Selection Show is on Nov. 12 at 6 p.m. EST and follows the Division III playoff reveal.
How To Watch The 2023 NCAA Division 2 Football Playoff Selection Show
The Division II Football Selection Show will stream on NCAA.com.
How Does The NCAA Division 2 Football Playoffs Work?
The 50th anniversary of the NCAA Division II Playoffs will feature 28 teams in a single-elimination tournament.
How Division II decides which teams go to the postseason, however, is through a completely different process than the postseason of the FCS and Division III.
The Super Region system is unique to Division II, where no conference has an automatic bid to the playoffs, and the postseason places are decided by the top-ranked teams in each of the four Super Regions – groups of conferences (and potentially independents) in a similar geographic area.
- More On The NCAA Division II Playoffs: How Do The NCAA Division II Football Playoffs Work?
A top-10 Super Regional ranking of all the conference members in a particular Super Region is released each of the final three weeks of the regular season. At the end, the teams considered by the selection committee to make up the top 7 in each Super Region, qualify for their Super Region’s playoff bracket, where the No. 1 seed receives a first-round bye.
How Do The NCAA Division 2 Football Playoff Super Regions Work?
For 2023, Super Region 1 mainly consists of Midwestern/eastern schools, Super Region 2 the southeast, Super Region 3 the Midwest, mid-south and Great Plains and Super Region 4 much of Division II’s northern and western membership, plus Texas.
- Brian Napier
NCAA Division 2 Football Super Regional 1 Rankings
Here are the rankings for Super Regional One on Nov. 5:
- Slippery Rock 10-0 9-0
- Tiffin 10-0 10-0
- Charleston (West Virginia) 8-1 8-1
- California (Pennsylvania) 7-2 7-2
- Kutztown 8-2 8-2
- Shepherd 8-2 8-2
- East Stroudsburg 8-2 8-2
- Fairmont State 8-2 8-2
- Frostburg State 6-3 6-3
- New Haven 6-2 6-2
NCAA Division 2 Football Super Regional 2 Rankings
Here are the rankings for Super Regional Two on Nov. 5:
- Benedict 10-0 10-0
- Delta State 7-1 6-1
- Valdosta State 7-1 7-1
- Lenoir-Rhyne 9-1 9-1
- West Florida 7-2 6-2
- Fayetteville State 8-2 8-2
- Virginia Union 9-1 9-1
- Limestone 7-3 7-3
- Miles 6-2 6-2
- Mars Hill 7-2 7-2
NCAA Division 2 Football Super Regional 3 Rankings
Here are the rankings for Super Regional Three on Nov. 5:
- Harding 10-0 10-0
- Grand Valley State 8-1 6-0
- Pittsburg State 9-1 9-1
- Central Missouri 9-1 9-1
- Ferris State 7-1 5-1
- Ouachita Baptist 9-1 9-1
- Missouri Western 8-2 8-2
- Davenport 8-1 6-1
- UIndy 8-1 8-1
- Southern Arkansas 8-2 8-2
NCAA Division 2 Football Super Regional 4 Rankings
Here are the rankings for Super Regional Four on Nov. 5:
- Colorado School of Mines 10-0 9-0
- Western Colorado University 9-1 9-1
- Central Washington 7-0 7-0
- Texas Permian Basin 8-1 7-1
- Bemidji State 8-1 8-1
- Augustana (South Dakota) 9-1 9-1
- Minnesota State Mankato 9-1 9-1
- Angelo State 6-3 5-3
- Wayne State (Nebraska) 7-3 7-3
- Texas A&M-Kingsville 6-3 5-3
NCAA Football D2 Rankings For Week 11
Here are the AFCA Division II rankings for this week:
- No. 1 Colorado School of Mines (26) 10-0 729
- No. 2T Grand Valley St. (Mich.) 8-1 665
- No. 2T Harding (Ark.) (1) 10-0 665 4
- No. 4 Slippery Rock (Pa.) (1) 10-0 598
- No. 5 Benedict (S.C.) 10-0 591
- No. 6 Ferris St. (Mich.) 7-2 562
- No. 7 Central Missouri 9-1 514
- No. 8 Pittsburg St. (Kan.) 9-1 513
- No. 9 Minnesota St. 9-1 509 10
- No. 10 Ouachita Baptist (Ark.) 9-1 440
- No. 11 Delta St. (Miss.) 8-1 426 14
- No. 12 Bemidji St. (Minn.) 8-1 415
- No. 13 Western Colorado 9-1 353
- No. 14 Tiffin (Ohio) 10-0 325
- No. 15 Lenoir-Rhyne (N.C.) 9-1 294
- No. 16 Davenport (Mich.) 8-1 287
- No. 17 Texas-Permian Basin 9-1 278
- No. 18 Virginia Union (1) 9-1 243
- No. 19 Valdosta St. (Ga.) 9-1 230
- No. 20 Augustana (S.D.) 9-1 177
- No. 21 Missouri Western St. 8-2 176
- No. 22 Indianapolis (Ind.) 8-1 175
- No. 23 Central Washington 7-2 106
- No. 24 Minnesota-Duluth 8-2 26
- No. 25 West Florida 7-3 25
Dropped Out: Virginia St. (22), Mars Hill (N.C.) (25)
Others Receiving Votes: Charleston (W.Va.), 21; Shepherd (W.Va.), 19; Virginia St., 18; Southern Arkansas, 10; Angelo St. (Tex.), 9; Henderson St. (Ark.), 9; Fairmont St. (W.Va.), 5; Mars Hill (N.C.), 5; Colorado St.-Pueblo, 4; Fort Hays St. (Kan.), 3; Kutztown (Pa.), 3; Truman St. (Mo.), 3; Emporia St. (Kan.), 1; New Haven (Conn.), 1.
When Do The NCAA Division 2 Football Playoffs Start?
The first round of the playoffs begins on Nov. 18.
When Is The NCAA Division 2 Football National Championship Game?
The NCAA Division II Football National Championship Game is Dec. 16 at McKinney Independent School District Stadium in McKinney, Texas.
Archived Footage On FloFootball
Video footage from all events will be archived and stored in a video library for FloFootball subscribers to watch for the duration of their subscription.
Join the Conversation On Social At FloFootball
- GLIAC 2023 | Top 5 Tackles
Dec 6, 2023
- Backyard Brawls To The Grand Valley Gridiron | GVSU's Peterson Brothers
Dec 5, 2023
- 5 Keys To Victory For GVSU Football's Playoff Quarterfinal Showdown
Dec 1, 2023
- GLIAC's Grand Valley State Travels To Harding For Spot In National Semis
Nov 30, 2023
- GLIAC Division II Playoff Preview: Grand Valley State Hosts Pittsburg State
Nov 23, 2023
- Film Breakdown With GVSU's Cade Peterson
Nov 20, 2023
- GVSU Football Eliminates Ferris State From NCAA D2 Football Playoffs
Nov 18, 2023
- GLIAC Football In The NCAA DII Playoffs: GVSU Vs Ferris State Rematch
Nov 16, 2023
- GLIAC Top 10 Plays Of The Week | Week 11
Nov 14, 2023